Celebrate your child’s Bar or Bat Mitzvah at Hod VeHadar
Kehillat Hod veHadar, the only congregation in Kfar Saba belonging to the Masorti/Conservative Movement, has over 40 years of experience in holding Bar and Bat Mitzvah ceremonies. We invite you to celebrate your child’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah with us in an egalitarian atmosphere, where the whole family sits together. The ceremony will be characterized by a respectful, experiential atmosphere, which is attentive to the needs of your child and family.
The ceremony itself will take place in the congregation’s beautiful building of the community on Hahish Street in Kfar Saba on Shabbat (Shacharit or Mincha) or any other day when the Torah is read: Mondays and Thursdays, Rosh Chodesh, all days of Chanukah, Purim and Chol Hamoed Sukkot.
In addition to the traditional prayers appropriate for the occasion, the ceremony will include:
- Aliyah to the Torah of the Bar/Bat Mitzvah, who also reads the Torah and/or the Haftarah portion
- Aliyah to the Torah of mother and father and other family members (women and men)
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah shares some thoughts about the reading and becoming a Bar/Bat Mitzvah.
- Tossing candy
- Parent’s blessing to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah
The ceremony facilitator (in most cases) will accompany the young person from the beginning of the journey to learn their Torah reading to the ceremony on the day itself. We have teachers who are experienced teaching and adapting the ceremony for people with special needs, and also teachers who can teach in English.
Preparations for the event:
- Meeting with our community manager for a full explanation of the process and the event, and to answering any questions
- An 8-session class for Bnei Mitzvah, in which students learn about the Jewish world in an experiential atmosphere, including activities to helping others (for example, delivering food baskets to needy residents).
- Individual preparation for the Aliyah and Torah reading with a dedicated teacher.